today you’ll present your class projects.
Post documentation (or links to documentation) to this blog. Your assignment for the final was to pick one, documentable, concrete action that you wanted to persuade your audience to do and then get them to do it.
In other news– while this class has been happening we had the announcement of google plus brand pages and just now we’ve had the announcement of Twitter’s brand pages
Looks like they’re not available to just anyone yet, but they will be soon, so if Twitter is the right channel for you to be focused on you can use that.
Hello and welcome to week 3.
First off we’re going to have a review of your homework which was:
Identify your audience, define your brand, define your ecosystem.
- Audience Analysis: Who are your important audience(s)? What kind of people are they? What do they care about passionately? What music do they like? What kind of books do they read?
- Branding Statement: Define as well as you can what your brand is- speak in terms of values -
- Ecosystem Break Down: what are the outlets that matter in your ecosystem- not just blogs but twitterers, facebook groups, linkedin groups, other websites and publications- which role do they each play? aggregator ? Commentator ? Etc.
- Read up on some of the social media blogs too and Find one social media blog that you honestly recommend for our class Blogroll
This weeks conceptual discussion
Do you want wide and shallow or narrow and deep? Or both
(Think about bank-shots)
Post to facebook from your phone
Report on a great use of media you care about and why – something that made you cry, laugh or do something.
Create a plan — who are you choosing to talk to ? what part of your audience is your primary audience?what are you saying, how are you saying it? start creating content, choose a primary channel, Start customizing your channels
“In the Future Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes”
-Andy Warhol 1968
“On the Web, everyone will be famous to fifteen people”
-David Weinberger* 2002
*maybe really by someone else – create a comment on this post telling us who for extra bonus points
- Intro to Class
- Intro To Jay
- Stealing your souls & Hearing about you
Tools For Class
- This Blog (sign up right now)
- Delicious (sign up right now its free) This is how you can keep track of links. Half of what i’m going to be doing in this class is just throwing links at you and a social bookmarking tool is essential to keep them all organized. Its also ( conveniently ) an essential tool in the social marketing professional’s tool box.
- Your Password Management System (i like One Password you don’t have to use that but you have to have something– even if its just a special notebook you keep with you all the time) You are going to be creating something like 10 new username/ password combinations at minimum in this class so you need a way to keep them straight. Do not use the same password everywhere that is a really bad idea. (i know everyone does it… still a really bad idea don’t do it.)
Lets discuss the basics of these platforms
Also very important
Tumblr, blogspot, google plus, Flickr, Stumble Upon, Readit, Digg
A little HTML for you
We will use this platform (wordpress) to demonstrate some the basic HTML you will need.
- anchor tags
- itallics or emphasis
- bold or strong
For this class you will need to choose a business, organization, cause or idea around which to organize your social media efforts. For the last class you will present documentation of your strategy and some documentation of your results. The results will be your attempt to get people in the world to do something- some concrete, verifiable action.
URLs are very important. Lets talk about them a little.
In-Class Homework 1
Now create a post on this blog- create a link to something you think is really worth reading, seeing, or doing and write a sentence or two about why. Tag the post with “worthwhile”. Make the link as direct as you can to the content. Use the permalink if you can. Find the direct link to the image if what you want to talk about is an image.
Your homework is to sign up for at least 5 social media platforms and start to customize those platforms, and to decide what your class project will be. Make a post on this blog that lists your pages on the social media platforms that you have chosen (delicious can be one of them) and describes what your project will be.